I’ve mentioned this project before in the past year (check it out!), and I’m really excited about how it’s coming along. I did this sketch for a cover concept during this past week’s stream, and the author, Tori Tucker, joined in to chat and watch the process! It was really fun having her there, and I’m glad I was able to show the person who hired me how I work.
For the time being, I’m just doing four hours of work each month, so the pages are coming along slower than I’d like. At first I blamed myself, but then when I found out it takes industry professionals like ten to twelve hours to complete a single page (pencils, lettering, and inks – and that’s before sending them to the colorist) it made me feel better. I’m still relatively new at this, so I have to practice being patient with myself and my growth trajectory.
It’s so interesting, being a collaborator on someone else’s passion project. I’ve enjoyed getting to experience a way of telling stories that is different from my own. I’m also excited to have this opportunity to experience making a book pitch and sending it in to publishers! It might not get picked up, but that would make for an excellent opportunity to try crowdfunding and to see what that’s like.
Just a head’s up, I won’t be streaming this coming Monday, the 10th, because I’ll be visiting New Hampshire for the week! If you’d like some other art streams to watch, I have a few to recommend!
- LenaTheOddity: Wonderful character art, great tunes, and just a wee bit of debauchery, as a treat! Lena’s streams are always fun and uplifting, and I always marvel at her excellent lineart and fantastic colors. Hop in for some gentle chaos and occasional stories about sheep!
- ERoivas: Games and photography! He’s been playing through the original Resident Evil games on Mondays and Fridays, which has been super fun! Tuesdays he works on photography, mostly of studio models and graveyards. You’ll be hard-pressed to find another person as knowledgeable about the craft and history of photography as this gentleman.
- FancySchmancy: Recently he’s been working on animation! If you’re in the mood for dry humor and sarcasm along with insightful conversation and fantastic art, check his out his channel!
- LizzieByDesign: An absolute cinnamon roll of a human who makes incredibly cute, playful illustrations! Lizzie has worked on published picture books and continues to create wonderful art that you can’t help but smile at. If you’re in need of some wholesome content, definitely visit her streams!
- j_renzella: A woodcut artist located in Taiwan! His streams run quite late for folks on the East coast, but they’re always a delight to see. Sometimes he’ll be working on woodcuts for illustrations and sometimes he’ll be working on woodcuts that are pages for a graphic novel he’s working on! It’s a fascinating process to watch, and I highly recommend it if you’re able to stay up a bit late.
Take care, all!